And the Atlas Survey says…
Subway, Shell Rotella and Kenworth all brought home honors this year as favorites on Atlas Van Lines’ annual King of the Road van operator survey.
- Amid questions like, “What’s your favorite fast food restaurant?” the company asked (anonymously) whether Atlas owner operators would recommend the company, what the best part about being an owner operator is, and whether they are happy with their jobs.
Here are some interesting facts from the survey:
- Close to three-quarters of Atlas owner operators reported being extremely satisfied (“I love my job!”) or reasonably satisfied (“Life’s good”).
- Tractors made by Kenworth were voted the best by owner operators for the sixth consecutive year.
- Half of the respondents reported that the best part of the job was meeting and working with people from across the country. Nearly half reported that the freedom of the highway makes the job great, while another 36 percent chose entrepreneurship as their favorite reason for job satisfaction. (Respondents were allowed to choose more than one answer.)
- Satellite radio is taking the trucking world by storm. In 2004, only 7 percent of Atlas owner operators subscribed; today, 53 percent do so.
- What’s an owner operator’s favorite quick meal on the road? Subway. The sandwich chain nabbed the top spot for the third year in a row.
- Petro and Flying J are the most popular truck stops, with Petro at 28 percent and Flying J at 26 percent.
Atlas Van Lines—the nation’s second largest van line—announces the results of its annual survey each September during ROAD Day, a nationwide Atlas celebration that honors its owner operators.