CFI Awarded 2006 SmartWay Excellence Award
Joplin, MO— CFI, a privately held international truckload carrier based in Joplin, Missouri, is proud to announce they are a recipient of the 2006 SmartWay Excellence Award.
“CFI became a SmartWay Transport Partner to become part of a long-term solution toward reducing emissions and fuel consumption,” said Bruce Stockton, Vice President of Maintenance.
As part of their effort, CFI is:
- The first major truckload carrier to convert its entire fleet of tractors to wide-base tires, which has improved fuel mileage by a solid 2/10ths of a mile per gallon and an additional 2/10ths when coupled with a similarly equipped trailer.
- Converting more than 1,000 trailers per year to the wide base tire.
- Participating in field-testing of 2007 EPA compliant engines.
- Specifying their aeroprofile tractors with integrated cab and roof fairings.
- Equipping trucks with an auxiliary system to provide bunk heat to eliminate idling in cold conditions.
- Designating specific areas as no-idling zones at its Corporate Headquarters terminal.
- Reducing emissions output by 366 metric tons of Carbon Dioxide (CO2), 118 metric tons of Nitrogen Oxide (NOX) and 3 metric tons of particulate matter.
The EPA created SmartWay Transport Partnership in January 2003 to demonstrate that participants can save money on fuel and operating costs, while, at the same time, help the environment. The 450 participating companies are on pace to save over $1.2 billion in fuel costs and remove more than 4 million tons of carbon dioxide emissions from the air by 2007. By 2012, the partnership will cut carbon dioxide emissions by 33 to 66 million metric tons per year, and nitrogen oxide emissions by up to 200,000 tons per year. This is equivalent to removing up to 12 million cars off the road each year or the equivalent of saving up to 150 million barrels of oil per year.
CFI, founded in 1951, operates approximately 2,500 tractors and over 7,000 trailers and transports a variety of goods throughout the contiguous United States and Canada. CFI interlines with Mexican carriers at various border crossings to provide through-trailer service to Mexico. In addition to its Joplin headquarters, CFI operates four terminals and numerous drop lots along the border and throughout the United States. CFI and its subsidiaries* have 37 sales offices throughout North America and a work force of over 3,000 people. The driver fleet is comprised of both company drivers and independent contractors. CFI’s website can be found on the Internet at www.cfi-us.com. CFI’s site is also available in Spanish, located at www.cfi-mx.com.
*CFI Mex, CFI de Mexico and CFI Logística