I’ve been trucking for over 28 years. Here are some of the things dispatchers have told me. Dispatchers have proven that God does have a sense of humor!
I’m running with your idea, Little Jo. Below are my Top 10 picks for the dumbest remarks made between dispatchers and their drivers.
1. Are you sure I didn’t say Fayetteville, AR, not Fayetteville, NC?
2. I need you to get there fast, but close your eyes.
3. Low bridges? The shipper didn’t say there’d be low bridges!
4. It shouldn’t take more than 30 minutes to get through Chicago.
5. Just go around the scales.
6. It don’t look that far on the map.
7. Why can’t you see the sign? It’s right behind them trees!
8. Can’t you turn that truck around? I can turn my car around there with no problem!
9. Turn on the CB if you’re having trouble sleeping.
10. Ignore the governor! Tell him you have an emergency blood supply or something.
So what if the dispatcher doesn’t know what a governor is? Well, OK, that one was pretty dumb. But think of how boring it would be without our colorful dispatchers. What would we talk about?
Thanks to all who contributed, especially Little Jo.
You can e-mail Golden Girl at DrivenWomenGG@comcast.net or mail your
letter to Over the Road Magazine, P.O. Box 549, Roswell, GA 30077-0549.