Fun & Games
How much do you know about the holiday that now seems to be devoted to turkey and football?
1) The first department store to hold a Thanksgiving parade was:
(a) Montgomery Ward
(b) J.C. Penney
(e) None of the above. It was a non-commercial event.
2) How many Pilgrims were on the Mayflower?
3) Abe Lincoln made Thanksgiving a national holiday in 1863. Before that, when was Thanksgiving celebrated?
(a) When people felt like it
(b) The first full moon of November
(c) When the governor of a state said so
4) The first Thanksgiving football game was started in 1934 by what team?
(a) Pittsburgh Steelers
(b) Kansas City Chiefs
(c) Detroit Lions
5) Which of the following is said to be the origin of the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day parade?
(a) Mummers Parade
(b) Ragamuffin Parade
(c) Fall Indian PowWows
6) Who was the Captain of the Mayflower?
(a) Christopher Jones
(b) Miles Standish
(c) John Smith
7) What do you call that thing that hangs off the turkey’s beak?
1-(C) Gimbels in Philadelphia
3-(C) Governor’s choice
4-(C) Detroit Lions to help promote attendance
5-(B) Ragamuffin Parade
6-(A) Christopher Jones
Wild turkeys can fly up to 55 mph for short distances. They’re also fast on their feet, hitting land speeds of up to 25 mph.
In 1705 a ship in Colchester, MA port was stuck frozen in the harbor, and the people delayed Thanksgiving one week so molasses could be brought ashore to make the pumpkin pies.